Friday, February 23, 2018

feed

 Feedback page to 1st edition
( .. my part in the downfall of Plate Tectonics .. )

(site originally via http://users.indigo.net.au/don/)

Comments are unfiltered. They trailed off about the same time mobile phones became the preferred access to the internet, possibly a reflection of the small screen being unsuited to global imagery.  The degree of polarisation of views was unexpected though, and is illustrative enough of the controversy of the subject to justify posting. Many later comments have become lost through my own sloppy records-keeping, but the clear trend was towards support. 



". It is an insult to the profession that such an idea should be remotely considered these days, when so much is known about how ore deposits form." [H.R.H. (CSIRO) pers.com. on the proposal that the necks of boudinage structure control the location of ore deposits (with reference particularly to ultramafic-hosted nickel sulphide ores.] (That's a blast from the past of deep time - 1973, from the precursor theme of Principles controlling the location of ore deposits', showing that the more things change the more they stay the same .. just for starters.) (talking about "support")..

(Back on track with Plate Tectonics .. )
"... You are practicing "looks-like" geology... Prove it, don't just show me pictures of it. " (D.J. on global tectonics)


"Sir, - I may kindly be issued the copyright permission for using your website for information and pictures strictly for educational purpose. Thanking you, Yours faithfully, (P). "

".... I will be returning to run 2 short-courses for the MSc program next month. One (one-day) course is on extension tectonics and implications for mineralisation. I will be focusing on how extensional settings are often misinterpreted as implying regional shortening, presenting results of recent centrifuge modelling and field studies of folding during crustal extension. I would also like to mention your ideas on boudinage and mineralisation (although I would debate some of the models you propose, others I consider to be excellent models). I would therefore like to seek permission to use several of your figures from your Web page in lectures and in accompanying hand-outs (citing your pages as the source of course)." ( L.H.)

" PT (plate tectonics) stands on incredibly firm foundations...what does EE stand on?  just  your unintelligible bullshit web site.)    ( J.H, Ucla.)  (easylink)


" I think its about time you've read something written in the last 20 years on geophysics.  For until you  do, watching you argue against plate tectonics is like watching a one legged man in an butt kicking contest."  ( S.W. - Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre, Hawaii.)


" ....I've been quietly beavering away since the mid-1980s accumulating empirical evidence for expansion from published data, ... starting from the basis of Carey's work.   ...    A very stimulating web-site - Thank you!"   (J.N.)


 Your God complex is legend in the halls of BHP.   I see you have found another place to hang out your vehement railings against science and real scientists.   (A. J. in reply to this post),


"  I enjoy your website, ...brings to light some geological principals that I need to rethink.  I have been a follower of the traditional geology and your web site has opened my thinking to looking at things in a different way.  Thanks for the website, explanations and the pictures.   Keep up the good work."    (T.C.)


"I am somewhat aghast that your web page managed to escape notice on crank.net up to this point.  Rest assured that Erik has been apprised of your existence and you will shortly be classified properly for all time."   (G.W. Herbert,  Moderator, sci.space.tech & sci.space.science,   in response to this posting.)


"The sad fact is that your arguments *are* transparent bullshit.  Everyone else reading this realizes that only a person with serious mental defects would be sticking to it.  The obvious conclusion is that you're another usenet psychotic." P.F.Dietz, computer scientist,  in response to this posting.) [don's blog page 6, 12/14/04)


"Anyhow, thanks for the most exciting geological site on the web right now! I have always felt that plate tectonics could not explain the shape of the earth's crust. There was always the feeling that the solution was there staring at me, but I could not see it."  L.A.G. Norway.  (Hi Lars) (remembering.)


"Each time I visit your site, I am astounded by the amount of work you have compiled and more importantly how rich it is in relevant material and insight. ...  I have come across various discussions in sci.geo.geology that reference your name when I have done google searches. I have been turned off by the puerile responses and the degree of anger so many people display and the unwillingness to talk facts and specifics. "  A.B., .. Billings, Montana, USA


"   ... I have a degree in geology, although I don't work in the field, and have always had doubts on Plate Tectonics, ever since it was taught to me at school and at University. Finding your site was a real revelation, and I finally saw clearly pointed out the objections to PT I always had in mind, but unable to focus.  So, now it's time to dig deeper and really get serious about Global Geodynamics.   <....>  .. the rationality and elegance in your alternative to PT is striking, it all fits in in a perfect, complete jigsaw puzzle..."   (P.B., Italy)


"...Yes I routinely go back and read various pages at your web site. You have been quite busy with your additions. It is your illustrations that I finding compelling and find myself wanting to see more. The more I read, study and observe things in the natural world the more I come in line with your way of thinking. "  (A.B. USA)


"   I have down-loaded your "Plate Tectonics' Ten Great Big Bad Ugly Fat Nonsenses", took it home and read it over the weekend. I think you have hit a lot of nails on the head. <  ....>   My basis for EE was originally through palaeoecology.  It is an interesting confirmation that my conclusions and yours, and others like you with a background of physics, end up at about the same place.  < .....>  Palaeontological support for EE is extensive, but, as you point out, not open because of the bias of granting bodies. Round about 1990 the Geological Survey of India adopted the official policy that it had no preference for either EE or PT.  As far as I am aware this is still the official policy. Support for EE is common and generally open amongst palaeontologists in India, China and Russia, not secretive as here and USA. Not many have published on EE."   (J.R. Australia)


" ...  He was a very imaginative thinker on the subject especially the mountain building part. He had an amazing grasp of the subject even though he had no formal courses in Geomorphology and even though I did, I still found it hard to understand until I found your site.  That's why I was so excited to get the disc.  You really are an inspiration to me and a true verification of all my imaginings about the expanding earth.   Do you have plans to publish your work in written form?  I could not find a copy of Dr Carey's book (except at the local library) but thank God it was published on the internet.   <....>  Browsing thru the disc is very easy and user friendly.  It is hard to believe all the work you have put into this disc.  The graphics are just amazing and because they are so clear and understandable I am convinced that this type of educational experience will turn the tide for the expanding Earth theory.  This disc should be in every educational library in the world, if for no other reason than to give students an opportunity to see the world in a whole new light.   Thanks again, ...  By the way I really like the way you have put together your images."  (H.T. USA)


"...  I have a university education in the earth sciences but have never practiced as I went into finance after university.  I am still an avid reader in my own time however and have independently reached conclusions regarding expansion of the earth and am trying to get as much supporting reading together as possible. Once the light goes on its incredibly obvious and very exciting to realise everything I have been taught (in error) actually has to be reinterpreted -and now makes sense."  (C.S. U.K.)


" ...Terrific website - Thanks )


"...  M.M.  was much taken with your work and used part of it as an example. I have found that gaining "knowledge in depth" usually requires multiple reads. Using this philosophy I went back to review your site and found things I hadn't seen before.   <....>   By the way, my comments about your "angst" I believe are true, appropriate and add a needed human touch to all this science. Like you, I don't proclaim to have the answers, but I damn well want the discussion to be heard and advanced. <....> I agree that the most important thing is that minds are cracked open to the possibility by any method possible. I'd be happy to let it go (or expand or grow) from there.  ..."    (K.W. USA )


No comments:

Post a Comment